Create Your Own Non-Toxic Cleaning Products at Home
The smell of a clean home can be intoxicating. But, have you ever wondered if what you’re breathing in is actually toxic? Although it may seem like common practice for your home to smell like fresh cotton or an ocean breeze, many of the most popular household cleaning products can be full of harmful chemicals.
Without checking the label on your favorite cleanser, you may be allowing strong chemicals like ammonia, chlorine, phosphates and various types of acids to infiltrate household surfaces. If you use name-brand, chemical-filled products in your home each week, the chemicals will be released into the air, or worse, cycled through your HVAC system, and inhaled by your family.
Many stores carry eco-friendly brands that don’t use toxins (make sure to check the label or research online first). But, there are simple ways to craft your own non-toxic alternatives.
Here are a few common household items that can be used as cleaning agents:
- Microwave: Fill a microwave-safe bowl with water, vinegar, and natural dishwashing soap. Microwave the bowl for 2-4 minutes, until the water is steaming. Leave the door closed for 10 minutes and allow the steam to penetrate through the grime. Remove the bowl. Use a damp cloth to easily remove any leftover food.
- Oven: Mix water with 2 teaspoons of baking soda in a spray bottle. Spray your oven with the solution and leave overnight. Wipe out the oven, the following day.
- Mildew can be killed with hydrogen peroxide. Just spray, let it sit for 5 minutes and then wipe off.
- To keep your toilets fresh and clean every day, sprinkle baking soda and a few drops of your favorite essential oil into the bowl. Use these ingredients to scrub a few times per week to keep toilets looking and smelling fresh.
- Tackle the other surfaces of your home by mixing vinegar, baking soda, castile soap, essential oils, and water. This solution can be used to clean surfaces in your bathroom, kitchen countertops, and general surfaces in your home.
By using natural cleaners, you are making a conscious effort to keep your family and the environment safe from hamful toxins.
If you have questions or concerns about air filtering or other ways to improve air quality, give us a call today!